this is a private blog for my design students and assorted other survivors. Tro blemakers all
this is a private blog for my design students and assorted other survivors. Tro blemakers all.
this is a private blog for my design students and assorted other survivors. Tro blemakers all.
this is a private blog for my design students and assorted other survivors. Tro blemakers all.

Sunday, March 08, 2009
















D2, vis a vis the movie Helvetica we were watching. I bring to your
attention an wonderful absurdity, situated clearly in the department
of "I have no idea why".


It seems that the Helvetica version of the moleskin notebook, the
notebooks are small, ubiquitous, and rather useful hardbound notebooks
found everywhere for
around 20$.

It seems, inexplicably, that they've have become a real collectors item.
So much so, that there are, entire websites and exhibits devoted to its
celebration, the simple little tome, has become an object of desire, a
kind of Dita Von Tesse liber. The sites and it's acolytes, chronicle its
collection and undertake a weird kind of the cultural analysis of the little
red, but completely
empty book.

Will we become a civilization of microscopic obssessors ? Soon to be
collecting sub-atomic particles. I imagine the owners walking them, in
little tartan sweaters on little diamond leashes. I mean the Moleskins
are nice and everything, but who collects an empty book ?

Jeez ... What does that say ?

5 comments:

Wesley said...

I feel like the biggest nerd, making all these comments today...

Anyway, I personally enjoy notebooks of all kinds. As a birthday or christmas present, I'm happy with receiving a variety of them. From Moleskines (although, I don't have any intentions of buying the Helvetica one), to various agendas (German, Japanese, etc), to sketchbooks from China (which Sean brought back for me), and so on.

Don't ask me what it is, but I just love the variety of paper, colors, materiel, layout, size, design, etc.

Papeterie Nota Bene (on Parc ave.)... God bless Sean for introducing me to it.

Radio Free Pescado said...

Dear Nerdster

me too , I have a bunch upstairs and just keep buying them, perhaps its the hope in the empty book, or a blank canvas. promises of a future, to fill up.

They are nice objects, well made, which is, in this instantaneous world, rare. Perhaps, that is where their charm lays.

who knows, 'll I bring in my copy of the Helvetica to show you, our secret.

Radio Free Pescado said...

Wesley, visit this site

http://www.atworkandplay.ca/

ani said...

look what i found!

http://www.photoshowercurtain.com/index.php

i want one...

Radio Free Pescado said...

dude, way most excellent, what a find. im getting a shower curtain of ..........